Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Can you learn me now?

My initial impression of cell phones was that they are distractions in the classroom. It did not cross my mind that they possess educational value. This is a new vantage point for me and, in general, I believe that cell phones can be educational tools. There are concerns that must be addressed however and I will need to find a way where they can be a useful tool. I feel that technology is a tool to meet certain ends. If I am unable to find a way to utilize cellular phones in my classroom then I do not plan on teaching technology lessons that have no context to the rest of the content.

The classroom policy for cellphones will need restrictions. It will be a white list. Parents are the most likely payers of the students cell phones. To address their needs I plan on implementing some sort of licensing system. The students will sign a contract of expectation of behavior for cell phone use in the classroom, and parents must also sign that their child has permission to use the cell phone in class.

There will be issues to implement cell phones in the classroom. Josh Allen failed too fully realize his arguments. His most legitimate concern is the financial pressure to make sure cell phones are supplied to all students. Not every student will have a cell phone, much less a plan with unlimited everything. Group projects will be the best level to implement the use of cell phones. Another possibility is to have cell phones be an option in student work but this risks creating unequal learning opportunity between students.

That being said there are possible uses in addition to the suggestions in the readings. Liz Kolb is a strong proponent of student audio blogging, namely interviewing. Many cellphones now have the capacity to record images and videos as well. Students can visually document projects as well as conduct field expedition and communicate with the rest of their group in real time. The importance of cellphones is their use in how we interact with one another. Any academic use of cell phones will need to keep this as the focus.

3 comments:

  1. David,
    I agree that cell phones are definately a distraction, but I too agree that there are ways to use them as educational tools. I like the idea of group projects, that would help with students that do not have access to cells. Although some schools still will have most students without cell phones. I think that with student contracts it is important to have the parents allow their kids to have permission, as you stated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David like all the blogs I again think that you have some great ideas. As a user of a cell phone in the classroom I don't think teachers can do much to restrict cell phone use. Your contract will be a paper that students sign to try to keep the teacher quiet. It will not effect their cell phone use. For them a cell phone is vital to their life. They are not going to cut off their lifeline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW your ability to respond to these posts with such an entertaining manner is very impressive. I love your titles and I can relate to your stance on the topic of cellphones in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete