Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sheltering Instruction

Last week  additional literacy training was offered to the new hires. I chose to participate in SIOP/sheltered instruction training. It is a very common question in teacher interviews and, because I have never been in a school district long enough to get such training, have never been able to answer that question well.

Taken with the Microsoft Office Lens App
The basic idea with sheltered instruction is that students should learn language and curriculum at the same time in their content. Sheltered instruction is a fantastic idea as only 10% of our freshman reading at grade level.

Our IRLA Data wall. Past "pull out" ELL education has not worked.

The coach suggested picking a couple for the year
"The person who talks the most learns the most." In sheltered instruction students process information through reading, oral communication, and writing. Oral communication is the driving component. In the workshop we learned several activities where students communicate all at the same time in addition to the single student standing up to share that is seen in something like the Socratic Method. It expands on "I do-we do-you do" into "I do it, we do it together, you do it together, you do it alone."

I was very excited by this workshop. It was all the things I wanted to professional improve on this year. On the other hand all the work I put into my new Astronomy curriculum has now been thrown out the window.





No comments:

Post a Comment